Thursday, February 16, 2012

Unions

So I recently found out that I'm part of a Labor Union, which I find absolutely hilarious, ridiculous and sooooo very french. As a marketing executive who sits in an office all day long, with a cushy chair, laptop and water aplenty I feel like I'm the last person on earth who needs a union. Unions are ubiquitous in Francem and to quote one of my french teacher's when she taught me the word complain, it's because the French LOVE to complain. And they love to complain to someone who will listen and attempt to do something about it. Hence, I can go to the 1st floor, find my union rep, complain and she or he will try to help me. I have no idea if my salary automatically pays for this or what, but a recent event made me want to 'unsubscribe' to the union.

I have an iPhone and if you are an avid reader of this blog (hi tom!) you already know that I love it (see previous post here). As with 90% of companies these days, my company is a 'blackberry' company, but recently the US subsidiary allowed you to put your work email on a personal iPhone. Thus, I took a gamble and declined the blackberry in Paris in favor of buying my own iPhone in the hopes that some day soon I'll be able to add work email to it. Fast Forward 6 months and this still hasn't happened. And the interesting part is why, because clearly it's not a technological issue or a security barrier.

It's because the UNION thinks it's an infringement on my work-life balance. Last time I checked, I was a responsibile human being that can make decisions about my own welfare and work-life balance. Apparently, if I 'need' email for work on a phone, my company should provide one. But as I said, they'll provide a phone I do not want or need. And here is where we go in circles. I have yet to speak to my union rep, but as I said to the HR person yesterday "you can tell me their reasoning all you want, but I fundamentally disagree and never will agree so it's fruitless." (Sassy Collins in FULL EFFECT) I really don't see the difference from having a blackberry and having my email on my iPhone. I can just as easily turn off my e-mail as I can choose to not look at my blackberry. And that is an important distinction -- it's my choice.

I'm sure I'm reaping the benefits of this union in many other ways (most likely through the amount of vacation I receive, the excellent cafeteria, public transporation subsidizing, etc), but I really draw the line with they try to 'infringe' on my iPhone. I feel like I need a Union to complain about my Union :-)

4 comments:

Ivy said...

oh the French...does that mean that you're technically now a Republican (i.e. anti-union).

Natalie Corinne said...

first of all... I'm an avid reader of this blog.

Secondly...being in a union just gave you street cred. what what.

Lindsay C said...

Ivy - certainly hope not! I'm not anti-union if it's serving a purpose, I'm just anti-union for me. If you're truly mistreated, don't have a voice, or power of representation, they're grand! But it's a little antequated for my situation :-)

Nat - Felt like I've given you a few shout outs lately and needed to spread the wealth ha. Street cred, yes that was what I was hoping for.

Unknown said...

I am just throwing this out there- if you need an assistant...I am up for the position. I can fetch wine and such and sell my soul to the unions...even though I hate blackberries.