Friday, February 17, 2012

French Cliches

In my french lesson today, my teacher asked me which French cliches did I have before I moved here that have been proven true (he asked en francais of course). I didn't have much trouble with this question and was actually a great topic to practice my french as I was quite passionate about it. Here are a few:
  • The french love bread (and carbs). Bread is no joke here and the cliche that they walk around with baguettes all the time is quite true. Only difference is it's only certain times a day -- bread is purchased after work, so I constantly see men in business suits with a loaf in tow. Another tip: that's how you know a bakery has good bread -- there is a line around 6pm with people picking up bread on their way home.
  • French service in a restaurant is bad. So, this is a strange cliche to me because the 'best' restaurants in the world claim they have French Service. I guess the actual cliche is that french servers are rude (probably also true). Anywho, this doesn't bother me anymore, but I have 3 tried and true ways to overcome it.
    • Make sure to never show up to a restaurant hungry. Sure, show up ready to eat, but never starving. I generally have a snack before I leave the house. 
    • Make sure you never show up thirsty. Chug a glass of water before entering restaurant or bring your own bottle of water.
    • As soon as you get your waiter's attention, order a bottle of wine. Do not dawdle, just do it. Don't go for glasses. The bottle is key, because then no matter how bad the service is at least you have wine!!
  • France is gray in the winter. Yes, it is, but feel free to see my post here
  • French people know how to live. This is entirely true. Yes, they work hard, but they know when to take a break and what really matters. This is one of my favorite cliches proven true.
Anywho, in Paris this weekend. First time a while...I have grand plans to organize my closet in anticipation of Andrew's imminent arrival on March 2nd. YAY!

No comments: