Monday, January 23, 2012

French Parenting: They're not like US

I can't believe I haven't blogged about this before, but an article in the economist (link here) was brought to my attention by my friend Nelson, asking my opinion. And boy do I have one.

I have asked many of my french colleagues why French children are so well behaved and from a combination of qualitative research, observation and reading this article my stereotype is now confirmed (very scientific!). This is a stereotype of which I was aware before moving, but never really put much thought against. However, the first time I visited a french playground I knew something was amiss. Or rather just different. As an expert on parental playground behavior (not!), I was seriously appalled at the indifference of French parents at the playground. I swear, their kids could be in mortal kombat or breaking multiple bones and they wouldn't bat a lash. Not only that-- they were smoking!! My north american lungs were incredibly appalled by this and I'm fairly certain the US gov't wouldn't allow a cigarette within a mile of a playground. But in Paris they seem not only allow it, but encourage it with ash trays! Quite prudent, I mean, if you're going to smoke, at least don't set the playground on fire with your butts.

Here are reasons that I've heard as to why kids are so well behaved:

  • No coddling, no patience, non, non, non. Seems like NON is a popular word in the french vocabulary. And the kids seems to listen. According to the article, parents don't fret, aren't apologetic, and are very strict. 
  • The kicker is that all of this is reinforced at school. At school, kids are taught to be quiet, patient, and well behaved. Sounds like a diss to the US education system, but probably well grounded.
  • You 'bring a child' into the world vs. 'having' one. Europeans pop out mini adults and are treated as such. You don't own your child, you are simply a resource for them to get the skills they need to succeed.
Doesn't sound like much fun to me :-) But something's working, as I consistently see very well behaved (and beautifully dressed btw, they start em young) French kids ay restaurants and I always ask myself the same question -- HOW? The researcher in me thinks it's a bit self-selecting...what self respecting parent is going to bring their terribly behaved kid to a restaurant? Then I have visions of all of the 'bad' french kids hiding in a closet somewhere....That sounds like a theory with legs, doesn't it?

2 comments:

nmr said...

The self selection idea seems sound to me especially if well-behaved children is the norm there.

nmr said...

The self selection theory makes sense, especially if the cultural presumption is that your child would be well behaved.