Saturday, January 21, 2012

Oh, Hello blog. Good to see you.

So, it's a Saturday morning in Paris. It's winter, which means it'll probably rain at sometime during the day and there is a solid gray sky. The kind of gray that sort of leaves you in a lull of half sleep and awake, with very little discerning difference between 9 am and 5 pm. This winter gray, although not unique to Paris, is famous and was one of the things I feared most about moving over here. I've never had Seasonal affective disorder (I don't think), but I've also generally lived in Sunny places. New York has what I call 'schizophrenic' weather, sunny and warm one day, cold snowing the next and Montreal had beautiful BRIGHT sunny days. But it was those days that I almost feared most, as they left you with a bitter cold right down the bone (as well as bright red thighs and nearly frostbitten fingers).


It's been gray for 3 days, but generally well above freezing (10-15 degrees to my canadian blog fans and in the 40s/50s to US friends....aren't you impressed that I'm fluent in celsius and farenheit??? add it to my resume). And as of this writing, I must say that gray isn't bothering me. In fact, it was sunny but cold/windy on Monday and I was appalled and surprised. I'm getting some sort of comfort in knowing that it's going to be within 5 degrees and gray most days. I always know which coat to wear, generally don't have to wear witner accessories (for those that know me, know that I HATE them), and can wear whatever shoes I please (even ballet flats with no socks!). Another reason is that I get to work at 9 am and leave at 7...so if there was sun I probably wouldn't see it anyways :-)

I've decided temperature irks me more than gray does and in general the temeprature is great. In fact, so great I ate dinner on a patio last night (albeit with a winter jacket on, but that's a minor detail). So next time someone complains of the winter gray, ask them how they like snow, blizzards, minus 20 degree weather, hurricanes, tornadoes, tidal waves, earthquakes and other insane weather that cripples other cities. The weather in Paris, like most things French, is quite moderate :)

1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

Funny enough, temperature-wise, that's how Toronto is these days! We rarely have days that are lower than freezing right now. It's definitely strange for January. Fortunately, we are still getting quite a bit of sun. I'm not sure what I'd rather -- cold with sun or mild with constant gray skies!