Thursday, November 30, 2006

My Thanksgiving: How to deep fry a turkey, Elvis lives, and a lot of Bud Light. . .

So although I currently reside in Brooklyn, my 'roots' are in Tennessee. And by roots, I mean that this where I go during the Holidays and when my friends are getting married. Anywho, Andrew, Vicki and I ventured to Memphis and Nashville over Thanksgiving for a taste of South. And boy did we do it right.

We arrived in Memphis to the smell of turkey frying in the backyard. It smelled like what I would describe as "McDonald's on steroids" so much oil and frying it's enough to make your arteries harden just by looking at it. But the end result is sooo delicious. Moist [ick, I hate that word but it's appropriate to describe the turkey] with crispy skin. I can't get enough. Other highlights of our meal was corn souflee, mashed potatoes [of course] and brownies for dessert. yummm If you've never deep fried a turkey before, check out the pic below. A little tid-bit. . .turkeys cost around 15 bucks. . .the oil to fry the turkey? 70 bucks. . the taste? Priceless.


The next day we headed out to see the sites in memphis. First Stop: Graceland.

Graceland was very interesting, especially learning all about Elvis' music and the history of his career. His house was. . .Intriguing. Highlight: The jungle room aka the family room with Green Shag carpet on the floor, walls, AND CEILING. Hot.

After working up an appetite we went to the Rendezvous for ribs. . .*Amazing*


After stuffing ourselves silly we headed to Nashville [my hometown] for some Country Music fun.

First Stop: Sonic . . . It was vicki's first time so we had to document it. Oh yeah, they have a new Chili Frito's wrap. We didn't try it, but Sonic is Genious.

After Sonic, we took Vicki out on the town 'honky tonkin'. Highlights: Bud light and a LOT of cigarette smoke.

And then it was the dreaded Sunday already, time to head back to NYC. Overall, great trip. Oh but how could I forget. . . we ended a fab weekend by seeing Borat.

No comments: