Thursday, August 30, 2012

Bon Anniversaire PlayingParisian.com!!!!!

Today is the 1 year anniversary of the day I landed in France (As I'm sure you remember, given the avid loyalty my readers have to the blog, I was delayed due to Hurricane Irene).

So here are my thoughts as I'm reflecting upon my 1 year here:

  • I still get that "I can't believe I live here" feeling a lot and it never gets old. I get a little breathless when I walk through the Louvre and tuileries garden, I'm giddy when I see the eiffel tower sparkle, and I'm still amazed at how good the produce tastes. I hope it lasts and I have a feeling it will, as I could say the same thing about the skyline of NYC (which I could see out of my bedroom when I lived there and I woke up every morning thinking "WOW").
  • Working in France still feels 'different'. The cultural differences are never more evident then when I am working, which probably has to do with communication as the basis of success in most jobs -- and even in English I'm not the best at it. It's challenging and thrilling at the same time and I still wake up every day ready to go to work. (except in July..in July I just wanted to be on vacation :)
  • I'm still wearing scarves a lot, but it's funny that the second I step off the plane in North america they are no where to be seen. Apparently they are part of my Paris Persona and I'm okay with that.
  • I feel like I'm finding my groove. I know which restaurants are hip, I don't always need to use google maps to find a metro, I velib like a pro, and I have a few friends (ok, maybe more than just a few :) And although that's a bit disrupted now that Andrew is in Fonty, I know that we're good at adjusting our footing and I'm ready to add 'living in the country' to my French resume of life.

After a year, I could definitely use a few more lessons in French (I was asked if I was Quebecois once...such a compliment!) and I still don't look like a Parisian, but in general, La vie est Belle a Paris. And I couldn't be more grateful. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy one year!!
Cant wait to visit! xo

Natalie Corinne said...

awww I'm so proud of you! There is nothing you can't do! Muah.

Ivy said...

Can't believe it's been a year already! Happy Anniversary!