Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Paris Plage

So I went to the beach last night. I biked there after work. Nope, I didn't do a long distance ride to an ocean or a lake -- the picture above is at the Seine! Paris does a great job all year round entertaining it's citizens culturally (whether it be through exhibits, free museum days, theater in the park, etc), but during the summer it goes the extra mile by creating a beach! There is a high way along the Seine which is closed ALL august long (BTW another Paris tip -- alll year long the same highway closes on Sunday btw for pedestrians and bikers). Paris then ships in tons and tons of sand and creates a beach along the river. It is equipped with bars, petanque courts, a pirate ship play ground, showers, music, etc. Super fun for those who are stuck in the city during August and a unique activity for the hoards of tourists as well. Other great activities - Outdoor movies throughout the city and the Olympics streaming 12 hours a day at hotel de ville!

 I've always heard that Paris in August is 'dead' due to vacation time. This may be true (it's only August 1st after all so I can't judge), but I must say July is also 'vacation time'. (and remember when I said May was dead? This country is crazy about their vacation). During the month of July I was literally one of 3 people in my section at the office (normally 20 or so). It was insane and really awful to be honest because it just reinforces the fact that you AREN"T on vacation.

Anyways, my time has come! Less than 9 hours left of work, 24 hours til I'm on my way to the airport, and then I'm off on the great North American Tour 2012! Which means I probably won't be blogging that much  (although Playing Parisian in August normally does include a trip to NY...I swear there are a ton of French people in NY in August). Anyways, bon vacances everyone!
Andrew being romantique along the Seine.

No comments: