Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The only Concert Where a Fast Clap is Appropriate

If you ask Andrew what I hate most about concerts, it will most definitely be without hesitation "The Fast Clap." I despise it. For some reason people who have no sense of rhythm, beat, or a brain always start a fast clap at an inappropriate time and like sheep the rest of the stadium/venue/whatever follows. Prime Example: I saw Pearl Jam a couple of months ago and people started fast clapping to "Last Kiss." This is wrong for a couple of reasons, one being that the song is SLOW and second being he is singing about how his girlfriend died in his arms. I know he didn't write the song or anything, but can we have a little respect for the person who did??? Just because you know the chorus to a song does not warrant you permission to start banging your hands away in an excited manner.

However, I saw the Dixie Chicks last night and I participated in "the fast clap." I won't say this is a first for me, but it's probably the first in such a large venue. I was so caught up in their energy and charisma [and appropriately upbeat songs] that my hands took on a life of their own and started clapping. fast. and it felt good. Actually, that's a lie. I clapped so much that my hands hurt. But either way, it was fun.

Some Highlights:
-A person with undeterminable sex in blue tie-dye shirt with white hat standing up in between songs yelling "I love Natalie" at the top of his/her longs
-Same androgynous person in blue tie-dye shirt yelling at us to sit down during a song [while shaking said white hat to get our attention].
-Hillary and Toni almost getting in a fight with MSG employee because unidentifiable woman/man complained. MSG employee said you can stand up when it starts happening. Hillary's response: Oh, it's happening.
-Guy with sign that said "I'm gay but I dig Chicks" [adorable]
-Natalie giving a shout out to Mel Gibson. Nough said.
-While departing, deciding that unidentifiable woman/man was indeed a woman, even though we were sure he was a man.
-Running to the Hotel Pennsylvania to empty our bladders after the concert. Being bombarded by drunk 17 year olds from New Jersey complaining about an $11 pizza the size of their hand. Welcome to NYC.
-Not being able to find a cab in 90 degree weather at 11 at night. Awesome.
-Guy completely decked out in Camo overhearing us talking about finding boyfriends for Hillary/Toni looking over at me with a HUGE grin as if I was going to suggest he was a prime candidate.
-Coming home to see Russell Crow and Denzel Washington filming 'American Gangster' in front of my house! weeeeee


Overall, Great night girlies!

No comments: