Thursday, July 13, 2006

God Bless the Almighty Random

One of my favorite bloggers is Heather Armstrong at www.dooce.com. She also writes a column at alphamom.com and that is where I got the idea for this entry.

She put her ipod on shuffle [or as I call it "the Almighty Random"] and then outlined the first 10 songs. Like her, I tend to fear my almighty random. I have wayyyy too many songs on my ipod that I have never heard, or even know the band. Slightly embarassing, but seeing as my boyfriend is a music fiend he loves dropping thousands [literally] of songs into a playlist. I'm lucky if I have a chance to listen to half of them.

So, I am going to put 10 of my songs on display in complicance with Dooce's Ipod Shuffle rules. Rule Number 1: I can't skip a song I don't like or haven't heard. Number 2: Rule Number 1 is completely optional.

Song 1: Forever Goodbyes by 20 Minutes II Park.

Wow. I can't believe this song came up first. This is the band of one of my BEST friends Josh Gilmore and his counterpart Mitch. [check out their website http://www.20minutestopark.com/. It looks awesome!] This song in particular is one of my favorites, Mitch's voice is like butter and Josh's guitar as always is impeccable. I also LOVE the harmonica. This is one of the first songs that I heard from their newest recordings and I was totally blown away. I've always loved their band, but I've known 20 minutes since the beginning and at first their recordings were very humble. This one sounds very professional and I'm SO PROUD. Some of my best memories include a bunch of our friends sitting around singing Dave Matthews while Josh plays guitar. I'm so happy he's doing well. Josh--I only wish success in whatever you do. [ps come to NYC!]

Song 2: Rocky Mountain Moon by Louis Armstrong [Greatest hits]

To be honest, I've never heard this song, nor did I know that I had his greatest hits. However, I am a Louis fan, particularly the song Blueberry Hill. Every time I hear his scratchy beautiful voice I admittedly get a little pang in my heart. Blueberry Hill was the song playing when I was going to the Hospital when we found out my grandmother died. I know this sounds morbid, but it was actually a semi-happy moment because she was in a lot of pain and although I miss her the pain had stopped.

Song 3: Center of Attention by Guster
Guster is one of my all time favorite bands and this CD Lost and Gone forever is amazing. I love their energy, particularly when performing and their super unique sound. After seeing them, I fear for the bongo [conga? who knows] drummer banging his hands so rapidly during the show. I hope he knows a good hand doctor. They have a new CD out--I only got a preview but it sounds awesome.

Song 3: Roll Out Justin Timerblake
Andrew--is this some kind of conspiracy? I see that timbaland is featured in this song. . . interesting. Actually, I agree the beat is very good.

Song 4: Peaceful World John Mellencamp
Ohhh Johnny. I think I downloaded this song because he says "Go on Down from Indiana to Tennnessseeee" since I have an unhealthy obsession with songs that mention my home state. Surprisingly, Tennessee, Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, and Knoxville are mentioned in a large array of songs ranging from rap to country to Ben Harper [obviously worthy of his own genre]. I saw Johnny Mellencamp in Bloomington at IU with all of his 'townies' and I must say he puts on a rockin show.

Song 5: Get Mine Get Yours Christina Aguilera
I don't know where this came from. That's a lie. My friend Nick in 2nd year Univeristy liked her, so I downloaded the CD to give to him for his birthday. Damn automatic Ipod Updater!

Song 6: No Da Cariad David Gray
David Gray is MY ULTIMATE NUMBER 1 favorite artist. He does, however, have an abnormally large percentage of very depressing songs so when I used to listen to him all the time I would get in what Marissa would call 'David Gray Modes' where you are depressed but you have no idea why. It's amazing how music can affect me sometimes. This song definitely is no exception.

Song 7: Every day is a Winding Road Sheryl Crow
This is a fairly decent song and I am not afraid to admit that I am a Sheryl Crow Fan. Her first CD 'Tuesday Night Club'--INCREDIBLE. Remember that game where if you were going to a Desert Island and you could only take 5 cds which would it be? Well, Tuesdy Night Club is definitely on that list for me. That game really isn't pertinent anymore with the birth of the ipod--however, without power on a desert island, what would you do if you have to charge it? Speaking of which, how would you play your CD player for the 5 cds? Wow, it was sooo unrealistic to think you could play cds on a deserted island. Just how it's so likely I'll ever be stuck on a deserted island and have the time to pick 5 cds. I'm glad I thought of this.

Song 8: Everybody's got a story Amanda Marshall
This is a nice little ditty by a Canadian Amanda Marshall. It's an idealistic song about how we shouldn't judge people by first impressions aka "and that Taxi Driver has a PhD." Speaking of Cab Drivers, Andrew and I had this craziest cab driver a couple months ago. He gave us his card "Rolling for Jesus." I think that's all I have to say.

Song 9: #41 Dave Matthews Band
I heart Dave Matthews. Not so much anymore, although I respect him greatly as a musician, but more the memories he evokes within me. Every summer in high school, inevitably we all trekked over the Starwood Ampitheater to see Dave live. He is a frickin amazing performer, no doubt. No two shows are the same, and standing on our chairs cheering, dancing, while sniffing other people's weed was an event not to be missed.

Song 10: Pull My Chain Toby Keith
I was hoping a country song would get on here. weeeeee I have never heard this song [I do believe my brother put it on my ipod], however, I am a sucker for a country song. I think it's amusing how Toby Keith is marketing himself as ultimate white trash. Some funny songs of his to check out:

I'm just talking about Tonight -- Lyrics to watch out for: "I'm not talkin bout locking down forever, baby.That would be too demanding.I'm just talkin bout two lonely peoplewho might reach a little understanding" Nothing like a guy in a cowboy hat talking about promiscuous sex.

Courtesy of the Red White and Blue: Lyrics to watch out for : "Uncle Sam put your name at the top of his listAnd the Statue of Liberty started shaking her fistAnd the eagle will fly and its gonna be hellWhen you hear Mother Freedom start ringing her bellAnd it'll feel like the whole wide world is raining down on youBrought to you courtesy of the red, white, and blue." I'm guessing he's a bush supporter. Just a thought.

Tada. My ipod straight up.

No comments: