Thursday, May 03, 2012

May.Is.Awesome.

Before coming to France, I was really looking forward to August in Europe. August was what I thought was the quintessential vacation month -- an entire month to frolic through the south of France, visit beaches, mountains, etc. And this is not incorrect. However, as it turns out there is ANOTHER month of amazing-ness, and this month has arrived.

Whereas in August you must use your vacation days, in May there is a plethora of public holidays. And because most of these public holidays fall on a tuesday, we are 'forced' to take off the day in between to bridge the holiday to the weekend. Twist my arm...

Since April 29th here are my vacation days:

April 30th and May 1st (May day/Fete De Travail/Labor day)
May 7th and May 8th (Victories of Europe day...end of war in 1945)
May 17th and May 18th (ascension day? I'm a christian and I don't even know what that is, but I appreciate the days off)
May 28th (day of Solidarity. This one I still dont' really understand, but basically it's a day off for charity? And apparently companies give the equivalent of our salaries to charities or something).

So, to sum that all up I only work 1 full week in May. It's quite incredible.

No comments: