Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Work Christmas Parties: French Style

The obligatory Christmas party: a tradition that spans multiple cultures apparently. In the US, it's usually an alcohol-clad affair, with cheap wine, bad food, and a dance floor. Co-workers numb themselves from the awkwardness of a bad DJ with one too many glasses of alcohol and everyone hits the dance floor, promising to not judge eachother the next day for their awful dance moves. Past christmas parties I've attended include: boat races, santas dressed-up (are we 5?), a pizza run mid-way through because the food ran out, ice skating, after parties, etc. They are generally jovial and I generally enjoy them.

I can't say my party last night is typical of France, but it does seem very Parisian. First off, it was held in classy loft/art gallery. There they go trying to culture me even at a work event! Secondly, it started and ended with Champagne. I seriously tried to drink something else, but they ran out of the normal wine within an hour and all that was left was Champagne. PAUVRE MOI.

As far as the food goes, let's just say I didn't realize that chocolate square WAS FILLED WITH FOIE GRAS! Really??? Foie gras at a work party? We're not eating raw veggies with ranch dip, pork filled dumplings, pizza, or starving? Yes, I'll take another of the scallop ceviche with passion fruit please. Oh and are those truffles in that risotto? YUM.

Alas, there was no dancing, but I can't say I missed it. Party Number 2 with the entire company (and apparently the dancing) is on Friday and it's on a boat along the Seine. Unfortunately, (fortunately?) I will not be able to attend as I'll be en route to NYC YIPPEE!

No comments: