Monday, November 21, 2011

Mexican food in Paris?! Oh my!



Food I miss from New York:

  • Mexican food (mainly chipotle, let's be honest)
  • Sushi (there's a ton here, but I haven't found a good place...or a cheap place)
  • Thai Food (same as sushi comment)
  • Indian Food (apparently hard to come by)
  • Hamburgers (I'm on the prowl, I think I've found a good place. Can Shake Shack travel?)
Basically, I eat a lot of bread and cheese. Which is FABULOUS. However, I need me some spicy food in my life. In honor of this request, Andrew made Fajitas last night using a handy 'french' fajita kit that looked eerily similar to Old El Paso. You know the one -- bright yellow, chicken just oozing out the sides (see above). Fajitas from a box may not be gourmet, it may not even be Mexican, but it is a tasty treat and just enough Mexican spice to kill my chipotle craving (who am I kidding, it's a fire that can't be extinguished!)

We also made our own chips (yay deep frying!) and guac. One thing I've never understood is why Mexican food doesn't travel well the further you are from Mexico (even those from Cali/Texas would say the New York food isn't 'really' mexican food). We had this issue in Asia whilst travelling-- mexican food just didn't taste right and I did not get it. All of the ingredients exist, hell, all the ingredients in all mexican dishes are exactly the same, yet it doesn't taste the same in other countries. One of the world's biggest mysteries, right up there with stone henge and the pyramids to be sure :-)

4 comments:

Natalie Corinne said...

I bet the Las Palmas franchise would love to speak with you about success opportunities. :)

Lindsay C said...

Oh Las Palmas...Those chips are superb. What was the one that Leigh Ann worked at? Cozymel? THat can stay in Nashville.

Natalie Corinne said...

Yes, Cozymel. I also worked at that FINE dining establishment during one of my 15 jobs of undergrad.

Unknown said...

I will make you a box filled with Las Palmas...although they recently changed their menu