Wednesday, October 04, 2006

And I think I'm done with Studio 60. . .

And by done, I mean I'm publicly proclaiming that "I do not like the show right now," however, because I am in a "relationship" and am supposed to "compromise" I will continue to watch it while stomping my feet, whining, and covering my eyes.

anyway, I liked the first show. I kind of liked the second one, but now it's just getting a bit blah. It's not bad, it's just blah [maybe blah is worse? I don't know.] Here's what's bothering me:

1. It's a little cliche. A jeopardy-like skit featuring a rabbi, a Muslim, a conservative Christian, tom cruise, and a witch? Come on, that's just desperate. And predictable.
2. It tries a little too much. It blatantly at least twice an episode alludes to the fact that Studio 60 is 'edgy' or is trying to 'push the envelope.' If you are really 'edgy' you don't have to tell people. You just are. [by the way can you blatantly allude? Interesting thought. . .But I think in this show you can.]
3. The Christian thing is unbelievable. I feel like these people have never been around conservative Christians before. There are two types of conservative Christians [probably more, but I'm too lazy to classify at the moment] a) one that would never put themselves in an atmosphere like Studio 60 b) and one that would. The difference is the one that would put themselves in an atmosphere like Studio 60 would probably not be so vocal about their religion. These conservative Christians are more stealth and probably believe in the "do not speak until I'm spoken to" principal where if people want to hear about Christianity they'll ask. Harriet Hays [the Christian on the show] is type B but is so overly vocal about her Christianity it becomes unbelievable to me. And why the fuck is she defending some teensy town in Missouri? Yes, they do have a right to run [or not run] any play they like, just like we have the right to make fun of them. And replacing it with the bear joke? Lame.
4. They never played crazy Christians. If they did, I would have a lot more respect for the show. If they think they are adding some 'mystery' to the show by not playing it, they are hugely mistaken.
5. None of the skits are funny. "Pimp my trike" was close, but feel like it's been done before and we only got a glimpse of a trike, not an actual skit. Further, we hardly get to see any skits, which I know is not the point, but it makes me think all of the skits are bad and that's why we're not seeing it.

Oh and another thing that this blogger who I highly recommend mentioned is that people like gossip and scandal about the people in the show not those that are running it. I could not name one single producer or executive of NBC but I can name a lot of the actors that are in the shows and probably where they live and the name of their dog walker. We.Don't.Care.That.Jordan.Got.A.DUI. Period. It's uninteresting and another unbelievable part of the show.

3 comments:

Pat Kennedy said...

You know where I stand, Linds (I'm a Sorkin apologist, through and through), but there are a lot of articles that share your point-of-view...and I have to say, I'm starting to come around on them.

First, from comic-book genius Warren Ellis: http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=3095

Next, from EW's PopWatch: http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2006/10/studio_60_not_a.html

I still like the show, see insane potential for its characters, and hope for the best for its future...but some actual funny in the sketches would be a plus. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Linds! I am not the only one who thought that Jeopardy skit was completely stupid and boring (being on the other side of the Atlantic I don't get to hear the watercooler gossip).

I won't deny that I will probably watch another episode or 2, but if things don't improve, I'm out. Hopefully my abandonment of the show will drop the retention rate from 106%....... to BELOW 90% [insert dramatic music here].

What's the deal with this show "30 Rock" with Tina Fey? I had originally heard that show was supposed to be sbout SNL, but don't see how that is possible with Sutdio 60.

Lindsay C said...

Yep 30 rock is about SNL as well. That was big news in the TV world when NBC had 3 shows with the same theme: SNL, Studio 60 and 30 Rock. Seems to be putting all your eggs in the same basket if you ask me. 30 Rock premiers next week so I guess we'll see.