Monday, August 07, 2006

Spelling Bee is F-U-N-N-Y

So I ventured to Broadway last night to see the 25th Annual Putnum County Spelling Bee: The musical. Overall, an extremely enjoyable show that I highly reccommend. The music is catchy, but quasi-forgettable, but the performances are HILARIOUS, with wit and high energy. As a side-note, I find it very entertaining how we [as a nation of course, because I can totally speak for the 256 million americans out there] are obsessed with making fun of the poor kids in spelling bees. If you haven't seen it yet, watch Spellbound--A brilliant documentary about kids in the spelling bee and their insane over-bearing parents [way worse than soccer moms if you ask me]. I just don't know who these kids exist.

Anywho, back to the musical. The Circle in the Square theater where the Spelling bee takes place is a really neat venue [famous alumni of the circle in the square theater school include, but are not limited to: Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Molly Shannon, and Matthew Lillard --from Scream, come on you know him! "I'll be right back. . .]. The theater is small and intimate and there's not a bad seat in the house. Also, they used audience members to be in the Bee and made fun of them, which is always a plus. My co-worker Hillary's friend from high school [Josh Gad] is a main character [he plays William Barfee --prounounced Barf-AY] and he was very good [he has a Magic Foot, that dances around and helps him spell]. He actually wins the bee [sorry if I ruined the suspense for you all]. My other favorite guy is named Brett Foa and was in Avenue Q before joining the Spelling Bee cast. He's hilarious--he plays this mildly retarded boy who wears a helmet for protection and 'makes his own clothes' [he basically wears clothes one step up from a bum]. He's sooo funny and so so dynamic. I think I'm going to start the unofficial Brett Foa fan club.

I also noticed on the spelling bee website that it's in a lot of other cities like Chicago and San Fran now so if it's in a theater near you, or if you're in NYC go see it!!!

p.s. if you switch the first two vowels around in Olive it spells I Love. adorable much?

No comments: